Monday, October 24, 2005
I chanced upon my Human Resource/Org Development teacher's blog yesterday and was pretty amused to read her entry on her annual experience of announcing the groupings every first semester. She said her students usually dread that day and that she usually groups her students based on a certain criteria, but more often than not, it's based on gender. I found that odd because I always thought it was based on these personality exams she gave in the beginning of the semester to discover who we are in the business world. This was where I was confirmed risk-phobic--no big surprise for me there. But seriously! I thought she grouped us based on a scientific thingamajig...

I remember how I despaired over that day she would announce the groupings for the Fourth Year. I was not particularly close with a lot of people and there were some people I was afraid to work with. I mean, I can get along with people, but it scared me to work with people I barely knew and their work ethic and my grade/s depended on them. Scary! But then I didn't have to be. :)

My group, composed of three girls and two guys, turned out to be a good team, even if we were all sooo different (one's OC, another laid back, another with crazy, out of the box ideas that actually worked sometimes!). We were all uncomfortable with each other at first, considering we didn't know each other all that well yet. It's so funny how our differences worked well together, we were amazed to pull off an amazing industry analysis that earned us a perfect grade (at least that's what I remember because that's the grade on my class card) and more or less higher-than-expected grades in our other classes.

It was a good thing also, because the grouping turned out to be our teams for the whole semester with all the different classes and I think the teachers liked it because we had the same groupings for the following semester. They probably found it easier just having one group for all. By the second sem, we were pretty much bonded that we could talk about the silliest things together.

I have so many fun memories of my group. There was the road trip where we met at 6am and hied off to this lovely plantation in Batangas (the place had deers!) where I had to interview this executive and they fed us formal lunch (ooh) and zooming back to Manila to attend class. Overnighters in my groupmate's beautiful house in Alabang--that was our house of choice even if it was so far away because we could work undisturbed in their study or in the pool house, plus the food was the best! I discovered corned beef (the Old Swiss Inn kind) there. Eating all sorts of sausages and one of us almost being caught in Shopwise for all her queries. Hanging out and meeting in school during days off. Dividing projects and papers among ourselves we would head to lessen the work load (mine was the tourism in Negros paper. Boy did I cram that one). Eating in Tapa King in Makati--I forget why we even reached Makati--maybe because we went to NSCB? Riding in the car, talking about personal stuff. Going to Sta Mesa for research. Oral defenses. Power Point presentations. Debating with each other. Editing papers and making sense of all the ideas thrown it (and making it fit in three pages only--this I remember because I was the one who kept all those three-page papers and I found all these papers just recently while cleaning out).

Wow, the stress. But I enjoyed it. We all did. We even told our teacher how much we appreciated her grouping us together. Strange how that worked out, something I was so afraid of. This time in my life reminded me how, well, I should try to be open to change and not be afraid of new things. But with all the changes I've been through lately, I really don't know. Sort of retreating to my really antisocial self.

Posted at 10:05 PM |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

« Home

ABOUT MONCH
Lefty. Bookworm. Loves to write. Chocoholic. Hyper at times. Not as sweet as this blog looks.

I am The current mood of monch at www.imood.com now.

Email me here.
'BOUT YOU
FAVORITES
LIVES
I LURK
CREDITS
Template Design: ReelPersona
Image Copyright: Kurt Halsey
Image Hosting: Photobucket

Syndicate this site: XML

leftieblog
« ? * # »

This site is powered by Blogger.  

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License.