Wednesday, July 13, 2005
So many books!

Went to one of my favorite bookstores, Fully Booked, last Saturday to check out the latest books if any. My dad has a theory that all bookstores are anticipating Harry Potter 6 that's why chances of new books are slim. I digress: isn't that a fab job, being a buyer of books for Powerbooks or Fully Booked? It must be so fun, getting to read for work! Anyway, Fully Booked wasn't that fun to go around in because they were packing up to move to the third floor of Power Plant and it was quite messy. But it's okay. I hardly get to go to Fully Booked, so messy or not, I really went to have a look. I wandered over to what I call the "chick lit table" because it literally is for any new stuff. I like checking that table out because it does have unusual and interesting books despite the fanciful covers.

What caught my eye was: "Midnight in Manhattan" by Francesca Delbanco! Too bad it was an old copy and the last as well per the customer service. I really wanted to buy the book but I just couldn't stand shelling out so much for a slightly tattered copy (seriously, book lover that I am, I am still OC about how my books look). Okay, the name Francesca Delbanco might not be as popular as, say, Sophie Kinsella or Meg Cabot, but I was so excited that she has a book out already! You see, Francesca Delbanco is one of my writing influences while growing up. The way I write is greatly influenced by the way she wrote in Seventeen magazine. I would look forward to her articles every month in Seventeen mag and be amazed at how effortlessly she wrote. I'd write about random experiences as well, trying to capture the ease and clarity she would have. I don't know how long she stayed on in Seventeen because my dad stopped buying me that mag when it got too expensive, I was too old or the local version came out (I think he stopped because I was too old for it already--his words). So I'm happy she has a book out now and I'm dying to read it! It's also an inspiration for me: hah! I decided I do want to write and get published.

Other books am angling for: "Undomestic Goddess" by Sophie Kinsella, "She Went all the way" by Meg Cabot (how come they don't have this anymore?), the second and third summers of the sisterhood of the travelling pants by Ann Brashares... My reading choice of the moment is not on the heavy stuff, I'd rather have a light book to read when I get home and before I sleep. I just finished "Sloppy Firsts" by Megan McCafferty, lent to me by Rava. I could completely relate to Jessica Darling's feelings of alienation in high school (complete with the friend moving away, etc), but unlike her, I never really did anything about it but wait until I busted out to college--not that I changed much then either but I liked myself so much more then. Sometimes, I couldn't get why Jessica did some things--it just baffled me why she had to be so... difficult. But maybe it's true, like Jessica, I probably was a trying kid, introverted and all without actually being wild. Sometimes I wish my life was storytelling material, but when I read my journals from that age, it's funny and bittersweet at the same time but yes, I might be a Jessica Darling (not as smart or athletic though) with a weird, boring so-called life. I'm looking forward to the second book. Another book I have on standby is "No Boyfriend Since Birth" by Claire Betita, published by Summit. Looks like a fun read as well.

Posted at 9:39 PM |

1 Comments:

Blogger Patty said...

hey monchy! i didnt't know you love writing pala. i like reading books but writing not so much. hehe=) i remember in high school i used to write poems but i don't let others read them. it's kinda weird. I still keep the notebook though where i wrote the poems. But i remember i wrote around 2 poems this year. you know what? like you, i also have this dream that my work will be published someday. i just wanted to share that with you. nc rocks!!! =)

7:12 AM, July 16, 2005  

Post a Comment

« Home

ABOUT MONCH
Lefty. Bookworm. Loves to write. Chocoholic. Hyper at times. Not as sweet as this blog looks.

I am The current mood of monch at www.imood.com now.

Email me here.
'BOUT YOU
FAVORITES
LIVES
I LURK
CREDITS
Template Design: ReelPersona
Image Copyright: Kurt Halsey
Image Hosting: Photobucket

Syndicate this site: XML

leftieblog
« ? * # »

This site is powered by Blogger.  

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License.