Saturday, January 17, 2004
After log on Saturdays or sixth days, I usually take a cab to Mega or Shang to meet up with my parents. I leave unobtrusively as possible, maybe because people leave ahead of me sometimes. Me and my pending. Today, though, I left in a flurry of "take cares" and "text me the plate of the cab!" Mio was particularly concerned because she actually witnessed a taxi being held up last night. With that, Pa Bo bugged me to text him the plate--so did Mio and Dianie. I sort of complied, but there was no plate painted inside the cab so I just kept my phone on Pa Bo's name, ready to ring him just in case anything happened (which thankfully nothing did). I also remembered my guardian angel.

I was a bit surprised by their concern, they just seemed so worried. I mean, I commute almost everyday, it's not a cab ride (jeep, FX, etc) and I don't inspire this much worry from my friends. Sa bagay, I also tell my friends who take cabs to text me the plate number just in case. Something changed in them today after Mio's terrible story. But you never know nga naman, especially when you hear first hand or second hand experiences from people around you, not just from the newspapers. I used to feel sort of "invincible" because I think I'm pretty much the kind of person who sort of blends in and I carry around pepper spray. It's just that no one feels safe anymore and when people around you are starting to feel paranoid, it rubs off already. Besides, I've come to think that the pepper spray's not enough and being street smart is one way to live here.

I feel bad not trusting people around me or even those who are supposed to protect people. But what can anyone do? I suppose I'm just too naive to see that the world is not as simple as I want it to be.

Posted at 11:56 PM |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

« Home

ABOUT MONCH
Lefty. Bookworm. Loves to write. Chocoholic. Hyper at times. Not as sweet as this blog looks.

I am The current mood of monch at www.imood.com now.

Email me here.
'BOUT YOU
FAVORITES
LIVES
I LURK
CREDITS
Template Design: ReelPersona
Image Copyright: Kurt Halsey
Image Hosting: Photobucket

Syndicate this site: XML

leftieblog
« ? * # »

This site is powered by Blogger.  

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License.