Tuesday, October 14, 2003
I'm a registered Philippine voter! Finally!

You would've thought that since the registration for new voters has been going on for a long time already, that by the end of October, there would not be so many people registering. I was wrong. The Registration place was jam-packed and if not for luck, I don't think I would have gotten registered painlessly.

Ideally, registering should be an easy process, but with all sorts of people trying to register at the same time--all with different concerns (ie, transferring districts, incomplete docs, disabled and illiterate, people who simply can't understand, etc), it's not as quick as it should be. Goodness.

My original plan was to go at 8a to get a priority number to get in (I already had my application filled up) and... wait. Or whatever. But Manang was going to town anyway so she said she would get me a number then I would just go later. Which was a brilliant idea because the number she was able to get for me at 8a was 479 (there are people who actually line up at dawn) and they were just registering the 100s. She said that I would have to go at 11a, by then, it would probably be my turn already.

That really turned out to be a good move because when I got there at 11a, the reg people were servicing already the early 500s. So I was able to sail in.

Step 1: Once I stepped in, I honestly didn't know what to do. It was a mess of people crowded at the counter, to my left were people sitting down (for what?). Finally, a policeman by the door asked if I was a new voter and he got my forms. His job is to mark my forms as "N" (new?), look over my form if I failed to answer anything (I missed two) and staple my docs together. He was amused that I brought four sets of ID (birth certificate, NBI clearance, passport and driver's license) stating my birthday (well-prepared!) when they only needed two copies of those docs. Then he directed me to...

Step 2: Precinct numbering. This is unorganized as can be. No line, so you have to find a way to the front. I think I was lined up for this line to be attended to by a harrassed-looking, cranky woman who was telling off the woman at the head of the line (she didn't have the docs, etc). The woman at the counter would check your docs, encircle your date of birth and then list down your precinct number based on where you live. When it was my turn (after much shoving), she just looked over my docs, encircled my dob and looked for my barangay. On the table, there are old 3x5 index cards with different barangays/areas stapled together and they have to identify which area is which. These index cards are shared by the three officers giving the precinct number. She couldn't find my barangay in the mess of index cards--so I sorted through the pile and handed it to her. She listed my precinct and commented, "Buti pa 'to, kumpleto at maayos." Anything to make life easier. Goodness, at least she didn't interrogate me or maybe I looked credible enough as a first time voter. Others were asked if it was their first time, why did they bring such docs, etc.

Step 3: Application Numbering. This is a looong line with only two people manning it. You just have to hand over your docs to the person manning it, they will write your name on yellow pad and then put an application number. In my case, the guy sort of complained my first name was rather long. I shrugged and he sent me off to Computer 11.

Step 4: Computer 11 is one of the terminals where someone will input all your details into the PC, you have to get your fingerprints in and have your picture taken. Eek.

Anyway, once here this is the last step so I was pretty relaxed already. The guy inputting my details again was complaining my name was rather long and asked if we could just put the initials, but I insisted on my full name lest I have a hard time looking for my name come the Election Day. Then he asked me to put my right/left thumb and forefinger to the machine for fingerprinting. He also asked me to sign on the signature pad--here, I actually asked to have it done again because my signature looked awful (same way I did in LTO before). My signature refused to come out well, so the guy just told me to make bawi in the picture--not even. Ugh. I didn't ask to have a retake. The guy was, I think, amused with me because he asked me, "Are you some kind of a balikbayan?" Uhhh, no.

After that, it's over! I'm registered already! They said they would send my ID over. Wonder when? But at least I'm already registered. I sure believe my vote is worth it.

On a side note, I'm not in a happy mood. I'm sick! Argh! Although okay na rin I don't have to take a sick leave to rest. Still, this is a bummer.

Posted at 7:24 PM |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

« Home

ABOUT MONCH
Lefty. Bookworm. Loves to write. Chocoholic. Hyper at times. Not as sweet as this blog looks.

I am The current mood of monch at www.imood.com now.

Email me here.
'BOUT YOU
FAVORITES
LIVES
I LURK
CREDITS
Template Design: ReelPersona
Image Copyright: Kurt Halsey
Image Hosting: Photobucket

Syndicate this site: XML

leftieblog
« ? * # »

This site is powered by Blogger.  

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License.