Sunday, October 26, 2003
Book Rant/Rave

Since my friend has been asking me about interesting books to read, I was telling her of the book I just finished a few weeks ago and am completely nuts over.

"The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, mainly because of the old theories that Dan Brown raised through popular fiction about the Church, its history and the divinity of Christ. He presented Da Vinci's work as the main source of the ideas, but he also pointed out the Disney movies as part of those who understand the Holy Grail story and try to bring it to the modern times. The book is full of explanations through the dialogue--perfect for those who don't know about the Holy Grail story or certain symbolisms and roots of particular aspects of religion (people like me). My dad didn't like it, though, maybe because it was too talk-y and found the Holy Grail concept incredible. I thought the Holy Grail story was intriguing because I never heard of it before and it seemed possible, although I sort of thought of some flaws din with it (I have to credit studying in a convent school and then later on in a conservative university for that). Still, it gave me another perspective on religion and faith. The story also made me search for Da Vinci's "The Last Supper" online and in art books just to see what the characters were actually talking about. It made me think and also search online about the Priory of Sion and all that. Wala lang, I enjoyed reading about "the sacred feminine." Interesting how history turns out, how symbols and ancient beliefs are still lived to this day without our knowing, understanding or appreciating it.

Funny--I came across the protagonist's website. I already read Robert Langdon's first adventure ("Angels and Demons"). Fun and fast read, but I liked "The Da Vinci Code" more.

Posted at 10:22 PM |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

« Home

ABOUT MONCH
Lefty. Bookworm. Loves to write. Chocoholic. Hyper at times. Not as sweet as this blog looks.

I am The current mood of monch at www.imood.com now.

Email me here.
'BOUT YOU
FAVORITES
LIVES
I LURK
CREDITS
Template Design: ReelPersona
Image Copyright: Kurt Halsey
Image Hosting: Photobucket

Syndicate this site: XML

leftieblog
« ? * # »

This site is powered by Blogger.  

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License.